The money is in the list. Despite the reach of social media, having an email list remains an important component of a book marketing strategy. Your email list is vital for a number of reasons:
- It is not platform dependent – Instagram and Facebook could shut down or change their rules overnight. Your email list belongs to you and is not dependent on an external platform.
- Direct connection with an engaged audience – Your list consists of readers that have expressed interest in your work AND given you permission to contact them.
- Relationship-building with your readers – An email list allows you to offer your readers fantastic value and build trust.
So how to build this vital email list? There are loads of well-known strategies including:
- Placing an opt-in form on your site
- Offering giveaways or freebies
- Building up traction through blog posts
Today I’m going to tell you about an email list builder that you may not have considered and that is Quizzes. That’s right, quizzes. I’m sure you are already familiar with the cheesy BuzzFeed quizzes that swallow precious writing time or the fantastic quizzes on the Pottermore site. Have you ever consider creating your own quiz to build your email list?
Quizzes are a fantastic way to build your email list because:
- They are fun and interactive
- They offer valuable insight about your reader’s interests
- You can embed them on to your site and customize with your branding
How to set up a Quiz?
By far the easiest way to create a quiz is using a ready-made quiz program. I used the Interact Quiz platform to create the ‘How to Sell More Books’ Quiz. It was quick, easy-to-use and customizable. For a step by step guide to setting up your quiz see the video below.